Permatex® 82180 Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance Gasket Maker, 3.35
Permatex® Ultra Black® Gasket Maker is a single component, room temperature, vulcanizing, gasketing compound designed to provide reliable "formed-in-place" gaskets for mechanical assemblies. This material cures on exposure to moisture in the air to form a tough, flexible, silicone rubber gasket. The product resists aging, weathering and thermal cycling without hardening, shrinking or cracking. Designed to provide increased oil resistance and complies with extended warranty requirements. OEM Specified.
- Size: 3.35 ounce, tube
- Fast-curing formula
- Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive
- Meets performance specs of OE silicone gaskets
- Retains high flexibility, oil resistant properties through use of a patented adhesion system
- Temperature range -65 degree Fahrenheit to 500 degree Fahrenheit (-54 degree Celsius to 260 degree Celsius) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration
- Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, differential covers.
- Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings.
- Improved oil resistance
- Sensor safe, non-corrosive
- Good adhesion and flexibility
- Replaces most cut gaskets
- Can be used as a gasket maker or dressing
- Non-flammable, Non-toxic
- Low odor.
- Oil pans
- Transmission pans
- Valve covers
- Valves and guides
- Timing gear covers
- Differential covers.
Directions For Use:
For assembly as a form-in-place gasket
- Remove all previous material from mating surfaces. Permatex® Gasket Remover is recommended for most materials, not for plastics or painted surfaces.
- For best results, clean and dry all surfaces with a residue-free solvent, such as Permatex® Brake and Parts Cleaner
- Cut nozzle to desired bead size, 1/16" to 1/4" in diameter. A 1/8” bead is usually sufficient for most applications.
- Remove cap, puncture tube or cartridge seal and attach extension nozzle.
- Apply a continuous and even bead of silicone to one surface, first tracing the internal areas of the gasket configuration, then all surrounding bolt holes.
- Assemble parts immediately while silicone is still wet.
- Finger tighten flange only until material begins to seep out the sides of the flange.
- Allow to set for at least two hours and re-torque at least one quarter to one half turn.
- For best results, allow to cure overnight.
For assembly as a gasket dressing
- Repeat steps 1 through 4 as in previous section.
- Apply a thin film of silicone to one surface to be sealed.
- Place the pre-cut gasket onto silicone film.
- Apply a second thin film to pre-cut gasket surface.
- Remove any excess and assemble parts immediately.
Note: Product is not recommended for use as a cylinder head gasket or head gasket sealant.
Storage of Unused Product
- Create a “Silicone Plug” by allowing excess material to extend beyond the extension nozzle or aerosol tip to cure, sealing and protecting the remaining product from moisture. For reuse, simply remove the cured product from the tip.
- Remove uncured product from parts and hand-tools with Permatex® Fast Orange® Wipes or Fast Orange® Hand Cleaners. If skinned over, break film with a dry cloth to remove as much as possible. Remove the remaining material with Permatex® Gasket Remover.
- Clean hands with a dry cloth or Permatex® Fast Orange® Hand Cleaner.
Properties Of Uncured Material:
- Chemical Type: Oxime silicone
- Appearance: Metallic Black
- Odor: Low Odor
- Specific Gravity: 1.44
- Viscosity: Thixotropic paste
- Extrusion rate @ 25C, (grams/min): 400
- Flash Point degree Celsius (degree Fahrenheit): >93 (>200)
Typical Curing Performance:
- Permatex® Ultra Black® Gasket Maker cures on exposure to moisture in the air. The product dries tack free in two hours and fully cures in 24 hours. Cure times will vary with temperature, humidity and gap.
Performance of Cured Material:
After 7 days at 25 degree Celsius (77 degree Fahrenheit), 50% Relative Humidity
- Hardness (Shore A): 30
- Elongation, %*: 360
- Tensile Strength, N/mm2 (psi)**: 1.7 (240)
- Gap Fill, inch: 0.25
*Material will stretch 3.6 times its original length before breaking.
**Amount of force required to break material.
Typical Environmental Resistance:
- Continuous, degree Celsius (degree Fahrenheit): -54 to 204 (-65 to 400)
- Intermittent, degree Celsius (degree Fahrenheit): -54 to 260 (-65 to 500)
Chemical / Solvent Resistance:
- The product retains effective properties in contact with automotive fluids, such as motor oil, transmission fluids, alcohol and antifreeze solutions. Note: Not recommended for parts in contact with gasoline.
- This product is not recommended for use in pure oxygen and/or oxygen rich systems and should not be selected as a sealant for chlorine or other strong oxidizing materials.
- Products shall be ideally stored in a cool, dry location in unopened containers at a temperature between 8 and 28 degree Celsius (46 and 82 degree Fahrenheit) unless otherwise labeled. Optimal storage is at the lower half of this temperature range. To prevent contamination of unused product, do not return any material to its original container.