Minwax® 63200 Helmsman® Indoor/Outdoor Spar Urethane, Clear Gloss, 1 Qt
Minwax® Helmsman® Spar Urethane is specially formulated as a protective clear finish for exterior or interior wood exposed to sunlight, water, or temperature changes. Contains UV blockers to reduce the sun's graying and fading effects. Forms a protective barrier against rain and moisture.
- Size: 1 Qt
- For both indoor and outdoor use
- Contains UV blockers to reduce the sun's graying and fading effects
- Forms a protective barrier against rain and moisture
- Special oils allow the finish to expand and contract with the wood as seasons and temperatures change
- Ideal for use on doors, windows, trim, bathroom cabinets, bar tops, kitchen countertops, outdoor furniture.
- Sheens: Gloss
- Application Tool: Natural bristle brush
- Location: Interior and exterior wood surfaces
- Recoat: After 4 hours
- Dry Time: 24 hours before normal use
- Cleanup: Mineral spirits
- Coverage: 125 sq. ft. per quart
- Coats: 3.
- Doors, windows, trim, bathroom cabinets, bar tops, kitchen countertops, outdoor furniture, not recommended for floors.
- Surface must be dry and free of paint, wax, grease, polish, old finishes in poor condition or any foreign matter
- Sand to obtain a smooth, uniform surface. Remove all dust with a damp cloth
- If desired, apply stain, such as Minwax® Wood Finish™, to unfinished interior wood surfaces. Follow directions for application instructions and dry times
- Stir well before and occasionally during use
- Apply a thin coat of Helmsman® Spar Urethane using a high quality natural bristle brush. On unfinished wood, apply sufficient material to seal open joints, edges and end-grain
- Let dry at least four hours, then sand entire surface lightly with very fine sandpaper (220 grit) to ensure an even finish and proper adhesion of additional coats
- Apply second coat. If a third coat is desired, repeat Step 6 before applying. Note: For exterior surfaces or for previously unfinished wood, three coats are recommended
- After final coat, allow 24 hours before normal use.
How does Helmsman® Spar Urethane differ from other polyurethanes?
- Helmsman® contains special ultraviolet absorbers to help protect wood from the graying and fading effects of the sun. Helmsman® also contains special oils that allow it to expand and contract with seasonal temperatures changes.
Should Helmsman® Spar Urethane be applied to exterior furniture?
- Yes, but no clear exterior finish will permanently protect wood against direct sun, snow, ice and rain. Be sure to check the finish annually to determine if it needs to be recoated. If the finish warrants, apply an additional coat of Helmsman® according to the label directions.
- Removal of old paint by sanding, scraping or other means may generate dust or fumes that contain lead. Exposure to lead dust or fumes may cause brain damage or other adverse health effects, especially in children or pregnant women. Controlling exposure to lead or other hazardous substances requires the use of proper protective equipment such as a properly fitted respirator (NIOSH approved) and proper containment and cleanup. For more information, call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (in US) or contact your local health authority.