Minwax® 42852 Stainable & Paintable Wood Filler, 6 Oz
Minwax® Stainable Wood Filler is ideal for repairing cracks, small gouges, nail holes, knot holes and other defects in all types of unfinished indoor and outdoor wood surfaces. Specially formulated to accept Minwax® penetrating wood stains. It is designed for use with oil-based and water-based wood stains.
- Size: 6 Oz
- Stainable & Paintable
- For interior & exterior use
- Fast drying/sands easily
- Securely holds screws & nails
- Resists shrinking & cracking
- Latex formula/soap & water clean-up.
- Application Tool: Putty knife
- Dry Time: 2-6 hours, depending on size of area filled
- Cleanup: Soap and water
- Recommended Uses: For filling cracks, small gouges, nail holes, knot holes and other defects in unfinished wood
- Stain Application: As soon as wood filler has dried and is sanded.
- Surface must be clean, dry, and free of dirt, grease, oil and loose particles. For rotted wood use Minwax® Wood Hardener to strengthen wood fibers before applying Minwax® Stainable Wood Filler.This product should not be used on holes larger than 3/4". For larger holes use, Minwax® High Performance Wood Filler.
- Squeeze a liberal amount of Minwax® Stainable Wood Filler into the area to be filled and press firmly into place, using a putty knife. Fill slightly above surface to allow for sanding while minimizing overspreading on surrounding areas. Remove excess
- Allow the filler to dry completely. Dry time will vary depending on depth of area to be filled. Most common shallow repairs will dry within 2 hours. For deeper holes, fill in layers 1/4" at a time, which may require 2-6 hours to dry
- Sand filler smooth and flush to the wood. Remove all sanding residue before staining, topcoating or painting.
Staining & Finishing:
- Before filling, test stain on scrap wood with filler. Choose a Minwax® penetrating stain, such as, Minwax® Wood Finish™, Minwax® Water-Based Stain or Minwax® Gel Stain and apply according to the label directions. After staining for interior use, apply a protective clear finish such as Minwax® Fast Drying Polyurethane or Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish for long lasting beauty and protection. For exterior use, apply a protective finish such as Minwax® Helmsman® Spar Urethane. Minwax® Stainable Wood Filler can also be directly topcoated with a clear finish or painted.
Note: Not recommended for use with Minwax® PolyShades® one-step stain and finish. Not recommended for use on floors. Store at room temperature. Keep from freezing. Do not apply when temperature is less than 40°F.
What kind of stain does Minwax® Stainable Wood Filler accept?
- Minwax® Stainable Wood Filler has been formulated to accept all Minwax® penetrating stains, including Minwax® Wood Finish, Minwax® Gel Stain and Minwax® Water Based Wood Stain.
Can Minwax® Stainable Wood Filler be top-coated?
- Yes. Minwax® Stainable Wood Filler has been designed to work within the Minwax® system. It can be top-coated with any Minwax® protective clear finish, including Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane, Minwax>® Polycrylic® Protective Finish. It also can be painted.
Can Stainable Wood Filler be used with a one-step stain and finish, such as Minwax® PolyShades®?
- No, it is not recommended for use with Minwax® PolyShades®.
Can Minwax® Stainable Wood Filler be used outside?
- Absolutely. Minwax® Stainable Wood Filler can be used on exterior wood surfaces.
Can Minwax® Stainable Wood Filler be used on previously stained wood?
- While not ideal, it can be done. It may be difficult to match the color to the surrounding area.