Kilz® Premium 13002 Low Odor Water Base Stain Blocking Primer, 1 Qt
KILZ® Premium is a superior sealer and stainblocker that provides excellent adhesion and a mildew resistant coating. Use on properly prepared interior and exterior surfaces, such as brick, painted metal, properly prepared glossy surfaces†, drywall, paneling, stucco, masonry, plaster and wood.
- 1 quart
- Low odor water base stain blocking primer
- A high performance primer that prepares all types of surfaces for top coating with latex or oil base paints
- Easy water clean up
- Previously called kilz total one
- The surface must be clean, free of dust, grease, wax, peeling paint and wallpaper paste. If washing is necessary use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute. Rinse well and allow to dry.
- For maximum adhesion, scrape off loose paint and scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming. On glossy surfaces: scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.
- Unpainted, exterior wood exposed to sun and/or moisture longer than 2-4 weeks must be cleaned and sanded before priming.
- Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
- KILZ PREMIUM may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces. New masonry must be allowed to cure (dry) at least 30 days before applying KILZ PREMIUM.
- It is critical to clean smoke damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming. Primary Recommendation: KILZ ORIGINAL or KILZ ODORLESS.
- Eye protection is recommended.
- A small amount of water may be added for spray applications, but do not thin for stainblocking applications.
- Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
- Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer.
- Only apply if surface, air and product temperatures are between 50°-90°F.
- Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If bleeding continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- Tinting is not recommended for stainblocking applications. KILZ PREMIUM may be tinted with up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon for non-stainblocking projects. Tinting to a lighter shade than the topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage is up to 300 square feet per gallon on porous surfaces; up to 400 square feet per gallon on smooth, nonporous surfaces.
Dry Time at 77°F (25°C), 50% RH:
- Dries to the touch in 30 minutes.
- Can be recoated or topcoated in one hour with latex or oil-based paint.
- Application at lower temperatures, in high humidity or in poorly ventilated areas will affect dry time.
Clean up & Disposal:
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with warm, soapy water.
- Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations.