EZ-Shim™ HS400BP Quick Align Hinge Shim for 4" Door Hinges, 15-Count
EZ-Shim™ HS400BP Quick Align Hinge Shim for 4" residential, commerical, interior and exterior door hinges. In the past, if a steel door needed a minor adjustment, a hammer was used to whack or bend the door hinge. Hinge Shim by EZ-Shim™ offers a much cleaner and more effective solution to this problem. Quite often, a piece of cardboard (or worse) is used behind the hinge when installing a door or correcting an out of alignment jamb. However, cardstock and cardboard compress, which causes doors to migrate, sag and bind in the jamb. Hinge Shim helps prevent future problems such as the need to plane the door and costly refinishing work.
- 15 Count
- Quick align hinge shims for 4" hinges
- Realign door in the jamb without having to take door off its hinges
- Each shim adjusts door approximately 1/16"
- Carded blister pack.
Hinge Shim saves time as they are engineered to fit neatly behind the hinge plate, with one of the screws backed out part way, allowing the door to remain in place during installation. Hinge Shims, EZ-Shims™ and Johnny Shims are all made of the same material so you know you're using a high quality, shim able to support loads up to 8,000 psi.
For more severe gaps, Hinge Shims are designed to fold into a "z" pattern creating a triple thick shim. Hinge Shims are slightly wedge shaped as well, allowing additional control during installation or simple door gap correction.
Hinge Shims are also ideal for the steel doors and jambs commonly found in hotels, offices and modern commercial buildings. If necessary, our specially formulated blend of ABS and styrene plastic can be trimmed or cut easily with a knife, side cutters or simply folded by hand.
Each shim moves the hingepin 1/16" and that means that Hinge Shims are ideal for places where a thin shim is needed. Cabinet installation, hardwood floor repair, a subfloor adjustment, hobbies and crafts are just a few of the tasks that call for a thinner shim.
Step by Step Door Alignment
How to fix a sticking, binding or crooked door without refinishing:
- A common problem is a door which is not straight in the jamb resulting in binding, sticking, rubbing, etc. We recommend the use of Quick Align Hinge Shims to align the door in the jamb and possibly avoid refinishing the door.
- First, examine the door's uneven gap. It is usually tight, or rubbing at the top and has a wider gap at the bottom. Often, this is due to the door hinge screws only penetrating or anchoring in the thin millwork of the jamb, rather than the more substantial 2x4 stud in the wall.
- Over time, the millwork (jamb) bends, due to the door's weight and the door becomes out of alignment with the jamb. To correct this misalignment, you will need to shim the hinge opposite the wide gap
- One single QAHS shim moves the door 1/16" Or Fold entire sheet of three into a 'Z' shape to correct larger gaps
- Open the door to access door hinge screws. Remove top and bottom screws
- Set aside the two loose screws
- Loosen center screw 1-1/2 turns This keeps the door in place while allowing space behind the hinge
- Now, swing the door towards the closed position and you'll have more room to insert the shim
- Slide the desired thickness of shim(s) between the jamb and hinge leaf
- Swing door open again for better access to the screws. Tighten center screw, then reinstall top and bottom screws
- Completed door alignment.
EZ-Shims™ are ideal for...
- ATM Machine Support
- Bulletproof Glass
- Carpet Transitions
- Commercial Kitchens
- Entertainment Systems
- Finish Carpentry
- Furniture Leveling
- Garden Stakes
- Glass Block
- Heavy Load Applications
- Hobbies and Craft
- Jacuzzis and Spas
- Light Gauge Steel Framing
- Mastic Spreaders
- Model Railroads
- Outboard Motor Mounts
- Outdoor Architecture
- Paint Stirrirs
- Paving Stone Systems
- Pool Equipment
- Precast Concrete and Columns
- Satellite TV Dish installation
- Splinter Free Applications
- Stone and Masonry
- Vinyl Decking Systems
- Water Heaters
- Windshield Scrapers
- Wet and Damp Applications