Cabot 3473-05 Gold Premium The Ultimate Wood Finish, Moonlit Mahogany,
Cabot® Gold is the ultimate finish, providing a beautiful sheen and strong protection from Mother Nature's worst: UV sun damage, extreme temperatures, rain and moisture. The first coat penetrates, the second coat adds dimension as it seals. The finish mimics the look of interior hardwood floors. Amount of sheen will vary based on number and thickness of each coat. Sheen will weather gradually over time.
- Size: 1 Qt
- Color: Moonlit Mahogany
- Polished protection for decks and outdoor furniture
- Provides beautiful sheen & strong protection from mother nature's worst UV sun damage, extreme temperatures, rain & moisture
- Use on exterior wood decks, siding, fences & outdoor furniture
- Provided wood is sound & free of other coatings, sealers, dirt & other r contaminants.
- The first coat covers about 250–350 sq. ft. per gallon (23–32 m2 per 3.78 L). The second coat covers about 300–400 sq. ft. per gallon (28–37 m2 per 3.78 L).
Where to Use
- Recommended for use on exterior wood decks, siding, fences and outdoor furniture, provided wood is sound and free of other coatings, sealers, dirt and other contaminants. Ideal for use on cedar and pressure-treated pine. For wood substrates only.
Preparing Your Surfaces
- Proper surface preparation is the key to maximum stain performance. Even new wood needs preparation. New wood should age 45 days before proceeding with directions below. Surface must be sound, clean and dry. Remove all dirt, mildew stains, loose wood fibers and other foreign matter. Remove old oil-based coatings with Cabot Wood Stripper. Remove dirt, algae and mildew stains with Cabot Wood Cleaner. After cleaning, use Cabot Wood Brightener to restore wood’s best, most uniform color --especially important when using Cabot Gold – and to ensure that the final finish has the richest color and strongest satin finish possible. When using Wood Brightener, use a pressure washer on a light setting to gently remove topmost layer of older wood. When working with Wood Cleaner and Brightener, keep wood wet for best results. Finally, sand lightly to remove loose wood fibers. Rougher surfaces should be sanded with a 120-180 grit sandpaper for best results. Do not use coarse-grit sandpaper.
- For best results, stir product before use, and often while using. Use a high-quality stain brush. Applicator pads and sprayers are not recommended for Cabot Gold.
- Work in 2-3 board sections. Start by spot-treating dry areas around knots, then apply a uniform coat to boards, end to end, keeping a wet edge to avoid lap marks. Do not apply excessive amounts of finish, particularly in cracks, or it may bleed out (if it does, wipe off when wet … or scrape off if dry). If boards are spaced widely enough, use a small foam brush to apply finish between them.
- The first coat should be allowed to dry at least overnight, but no longer than 7 days, before applying second coat. Expect the first coat to look somewhat uneven. The second coat achieves deep, rich color and layers on the protection.
- Between coats, you can lightly sand surface with 220-grit sandpaper to achieve truly optimal results. Use a light touch to avoid etching or abrading the wood. Be sure to remove sanding dust before proceeding.
Cleanup and Disposal
- Clean up with mineral spirits or VOC compliant brush cleaner. Keep container closed when not in use. Do not transfer contents to other containers for storage or disposal. In case of spills, absorb with inert material such as sand or kitty litter. Dispose of empty container or unused portion in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.
- Rags, steel wool or waste soaked with this product may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately after use, place rags, steel wool or waste in a sealed, water-filled metal container. Dispose of according to local regulations.